For the last month, my church Canvas has had a teaching series called “What the Health?” First, can I just say I love that a church is playing off the phrase “What the Hell?” But most of all, I love that a church is helping people have healthy relationship with health.
Today at Canvas I had the opportunity to share a bit of my body image story, plus lessons I’ve learned the past few years via therapy, a body love course, working on this blog and more. There was so much more I would have loved to share, but that’s what this post is for!
I encourage you to watch the What the Health series here (the service I spoke at is here) and if you want more resources/help, below are some of the quotes, books, articles and Instagram accounts that have helped me immensely in this body image and health journey.
And if you ever want to talk, I’m here for you. Let’s grab coffee. Shoot me an email. You are NOT alone.
A FEW QUOTES I LOVE
- “My body is an instrument, not an ornament.” – Beauty Redefined
- “Please consider that if you’re really caring for yourself, it might look different than if you’re caring about what other people think when they see you.” – Dr. Lindsay Kite during an interview on the Harder to Kill podcast
- “…if health creates a problem, it’s not health.” – Maria Sosa @holisticallygrace
- “It’s not the WHAT, but the WHY that makes a difference.” – Maria Sosa @holisticallygrace
BOOKS/ARTICLES WORTH READING
- Beyond Beautiful
- Intuitive Eating
- Smash the Wellness Industry: Why are so many smart women falling for its harmful, pseudoscientific claims?
PARENTING RESOURCES (or for anyone who is ever around kids)
- Raising Body Confident Kids – Features five great tips.
- Positive Eating Habits, Positive Body Image
- Feeding Littles (also on Facebook and Instagram); written by a registered dietitian and an occupational therapist
- Kids Eat in Color (also on Facebook and Instagram); written by a registered dietitian
- This article is especially great for new moms. “The Body I’ve Always Wanted: Size Mom.“
- I Don’t Want to Hear About Chrissy Teigen’s Post-Baby Body
SOCIAL MEDIA RESOURCES (I.E., FOLLOW THESE PEEPS!)